Saturday 20 April 2013

Happy Shopping

A year ago, along with my daughter Natasha, I went to my first TED conference: TEDxExeter. I came away full of enthusiasm and inspiration, fired up by ideas from speakers as disparate as Bandi Mbubi who talked passionately about conflict minerals in the Congo, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall who told us the story of his love for fish, and Satish Kumar whose message was about the interconnectedness of soil, soul and society. And two talks in particular - those of Nic Marks and Mike Dickson - addressed how we measure and achieve happiness. Nic Marks had cited some research carried out through the UK Government's Foresight Programme, in a study called Mental Capital and Wellbeing, which concluded that the happiness of individuals can be increased by following five simple guidelines. These are :

Connect
Be Active
Take Notice
Keep Learning
Give

One of the many things which had me thinking hard as I came away from the day was this idea of connectedness. Technology and social media allow us to be so connected in global terms, but we are not always so connected to our local community - in fact, this global interconnectedness can mask the lack of local contact. I FaceTime my sister in the Middle East, keep up with family members far and near via Facebook, and am in contact with writer friends all over the world, but I realised that I didn't have much social connection with many people in my immediate vicinity.Yet connecting in one's local area can have so many benefits, both for the individual and the community. How to start doing that more, though?

On our journey back home, Natasha and I decided that one thing we could do was to make more of an effort to shop locally rather than unthinkingly buy everything at the supermarket, even if the 'everything' at the supermarket was Fairtrade and organic, and the local produce might not always be. If through our custom we were supporting local producers it would help the local community, and that was a way of connecting with what was happening in our neighbourhood.

And, as a way of connecting more directly, I decided to volunteer to work at our local community shop. This was quite a scary decision. Whenever I went into the shop I felt like an outsider, despite the fact that we have lived in this village for over a decade. Everybody seemed to know everyone else, whereas I only knew a few people. And being quite a shy person, I found this rather intimidating - my fault, not anyone else's. However, one person I did know was one of the two shop managers, so at the Village Jubilee Street Party, I plucked up my courage and volunteered. I'd just been made redundant so I had some time on my hands, and it was a perfect opportunity to make that move towards connecting.

The Village Shop is a community-run enterprise, owned by the members, managed by committee, and staffed by volunteers. It has been running for nearly twenty years, so was way ahead of the Ambridge Community Shop in 'The Archers'! It's a great resource, stocking all the basics, plus locally produced meat, milk, bread, pies, cheese, the famous local Otter beer, local apple and speciality juices, homemade cakes, honeys and jams, handmade cards. Anyone who is a shop member can sell produce, which means that in the summer there is a great selection of veg and salad. There is a Post Office, dry-cleaning service, prescription pick-up service, and much more. And it stocks a range of Fairtrade items too! It really is the very model of a modern community shop. Of course, it relies heavily on the fact that there are people in and around the village with the time to do stints as volunteers. Until I suddenly had rather more time on my hands than I was expecting, I would have struggled to find the time to help out. However, if I had, I would have been a lot more integrated in the community!


Although, due to a series of unforeseen events I wasn't able to start working there as soon as I'd planned, I now have a regular shift on a Friday morning. I have yet to do a session without making some kind of mistake on the till, but I guess I'll  eventually get the hang of simultaneously chatting and pressing buttons. Because, you see, the chatting is also part of the job. Every week I meet new people, and the lovely Val, who is in charge on a Friday morning, makes sure I'm introduced.


I'm already feeling more connected. I feel good that I'm supporting the wider range of local businesses that supply the shop. I've met more local people. I'm giving my time. And yes, it has definitely had a positive effect on my mental well-being.

Of course I'm not doing all my shopping at The Village Shop - it hasn't quite got the range for that, and doesn't claim to. But the cakes are 'to-die-for', and I've met the woman who makes them! How's that for being a happy, connected shopper?

No comments:

Post a Comment